Wednesday 21 May 2014

Lip Sync: "You Feeling Alright There Phil?"

Our tutor gave us a short audio file of a male voice saying "You feeling alright there Phil?" We were given the Morpheus Rig head to work from and were required to alter the shape of the mouth whilst using the audio file on the Maya timeline to create a convincing lip sync. 

I found the best way to create a realistic lip sync was to work from personal reference. I recorded myself multiple times reciting the phrase- fast and naturally, slowly and precisely, accentuating the mouth movements and with different emotion. Once I was happy with my reference footage I began working on my lip sync, working between assumption and common sense, and the reference footage.

Here was my first lip sync test:


I did the first test without any facial animation, solely focusing on the lip sync and animation of the mouth. Making sure to replicate the natural movement of the lips, teeth and tongue by keeping the shapes asymmetrical. I tried to keep the movements realistic and true to life as opposed to an exaggeration.

I then began to add facial animation, tilting the head slightly and giving it more free movement as it is rare that when interacting with something we will keep our head still. When I tilted the head, I changed the expression slightly by changing the expression of the eyebrows, squinting the eyes and I kept the pupils facing the centre point. I felt that this added a more natural feeling touch to the lip sync and animation. 

Here is my finished lip sync:


No comments:

Post a Comment