Friday 6 June 2014

Acting: Character References

I was puzzled at how to begin animating my characters as there are so many ways to interpret a piece of dialogue, and due to the nature of my piece it needed to seem natural and not too exaggerated or unrealistic. Therefore, I decided the best way to understand how to deliver the lines naturally was for me to deliver them myself. I set up a camera on my desk and filmed myself multiple times for each character. I chose my top two pieces of footage for each character for my blog to show what reference I was using to better grasp how to animate the scene.

First of all, I played the dialogue and reacted without speaking to the words. This allowed me to understand the emotion of the piece and forced me to think about body language more when I can't rely on the dialogue to convey my message. I found this to be useful as I didn't rehearse beforehand and just threw myself into the role of each character- this allowed me to react naturally to the lines.

Firstly, I did this as the interviewer:


And then as the interviewee:


After this, I turned the audio off and had the script breakdown on the screen in front of me. I read off a small section of lines at a time, in juxtaposition to the previous exercise where my body took control of the scene. Here it was all about how I delivered the dialogue. I found that as I was speaking the lines, my body naturally reacted to the words. I also tried each line multiple times in a variety of interpretations. This allowed me to think outside of the box and understand the motives of the characters a lot more.

Again, firstly I spoke the lines of the interviewer:


And then the interviewee:


Although at first I was embarrassed to film myself and act the lines out, I realised that this is an invaluable reference that I will use to make my character performance better, more believable and true to life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment